The three main contributors for a successful sports and leisure facility are:
- Upfront feasibility planning;
- A facility designed for profitability, and
- Professional Management.
The leisure centre was designed to replace an existing swimming pool and provides for a range of leisure activities to meet the various needs of all the community it serves.
A Malone O’Regan led multi-disciplinary team was first commissioned to carry out a feasibility study for a Swimming Pool in Monaghan Town. A market and analysis was carried out to assess if there was a demand for indoor swimming facilities in the Monaghan catchment, and if so to determine how such a facility might be developed and operated. The terms of reference included:
- Assessment of the market potential for a 25m swimming pool facility in Monaghan Town;
- Recommendation of the standard, range and scale of facilities that would best meet the local needs;
- Estimation of the likely costs of development;
- Identification of best practice for the management of the facility; and,
- Projection of the likely annual income potential and expenditure for the operation of the facility in order to establish whether a project would be viable.
Our team was subsequently retained for the detailed design, procurement and construction of the new facility. Facilities include:
- 25m Swimming Pool
- 25m Flume
- Kids Pool
- Sauna/ Steam Room
- Gymnasium – fully equipped with a wide range of cardiovascular and resistance equipment
- Aerobic Studio
- Tourist Office
- Tennis Courts
Robustness is one of the main requirements for the design of leisure centres, given that they are used so intensively. The large pool hall space is spanned with a glulam structure to overcome the challenge for the main structure to have a guaranteed life of 60 years with minimal maintenance. Not only were the structural elements in a corrosive chlorine atmosphere but also located in an area of difficult access for maintenance.
The roof profile maximises natural daylight penetration to the space resulting in a very pleasant user environment.